Lars Vilks, the Swedish artist-cartoonist who depicted Islam’s Prophet Mohammad as a dog in a caricature in 2007, was attacked in a classroom in Uppsala, Sweden, Tuesday, while giving a lecture regarding his experiences with censorship.
Vilks has been under a fatwa issued by Al Qaeda Muslim extremists offering a $100,000 reward to anyone who murders him. It appears that yesterday’s assailant initially head butted Vilks, but was then quickly subdued by Swedish policemen before he could inflict more damage.
The lecture was being filmed by a Swedish TV station, but the cameraman missed filming the actual assault because he had directed his camera toward a screening of a film that Vilks was discussing. Once the assault had begun and by the time the camera was again pointed in Vilks’ direction, he was already on the floor.
Toward the end of the video, a second assailant moving into camera range from the left is seen taking a swing apparently at a policeman. That man is immediately tackled by three policemen and arrested. The second assailant’s efforts at assault were utterly anemic as his listless attempt to strike the cop looked as if he had flunked fighting on the school playground when he was a lad.
The lecture hall was filled with shouts of “Allahu Akbar” (God is Great), and many of them came from apparently Muslim women in the back of the hall. It was also the cry of the first assailant as he attacked Vilks.
Vilks’ glasses were broken in the altercation, but it has been reported he was not seriously injured. “This was the first time I’ve experienced a physical assault,” Vilks said. “It was a bit of a shock.”
Vilks has taken the fatwa on his life seriously, having installed a panic room and booby traps in his home, along with acquiring a specially trained guard dog he has named “Mohammed.”
After Tuesday’s assault Vilks remains adamant that he will not give in to the threats from the Muslim extremists. “What you get is a mob deciding what can be discussed at the university. I’m ready to go up again,” he said, meaning he would be agreeable to rescheduling the speech. “This must be carried through. You cannot allow it to be stopped.”
Vilks notorious cartoon of Mohammad was dubbed “Modoggie,” and numerous variations of it can be viewed at The Christian News Wire. The cartoon would be considered insulting by nearly any religion, so you cannot blame Muslims for their anger. However, most of us limit our rage and do not push it to the point of issuing a fatwa.
* Fatal Police Shoot Out Caught on Dashcam
* Woman Caught Poisoning Supermarket Baby Food
* Gang of Kids Caught Roasting Live Puppies
* Giant Mountain Rock Slide Caught on Video
* US Marine Throws Puppy Off Cliff
1) “Fatwa Headbutt: Swedish “Roundabout Dog” Mohammed cartoonist Lars Vilks attacked.” http://pajamasmedia.com/zombie/2010/05/11/fatwa-headbutt-swedish-roundabout-dog-mohammed-cartoonist-lars-vilks-attacked/. Zombie. Retrieved 5/12/2010.
2) “Lars Vilks attacked at Swedish University May 11 2010.” Video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fg8KRTXDRU&feature=player_embedded. YouTube. Retrieved 5/12/2010.
3) “Lars Vilks attack Aftonbladet with English titles.” Video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfW95sSaVVo&feature=related. YouTube. Retrieved 5/12/2010.
4) “‘Muhammad cartoonist’ Lars Vilks undaunted after new attack [UPDATED].” http://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic-riffs/2010/05/muhammad_cartoonist_lars_vilks.html.The Washington Post. Retrieved 5/12/2010.
5) “Lars Vilks: Swedish Cartoonist Attacked by Muslims Won’t Back Down.” http://www.rightpundits.com/?p=6222.RightPundits.com. Retrieved 5/12/2010
6) “‘Modoggie’ Cartoon Published by Swedish Artist Lars Vilks.” http://www.christiannewswire.com/news/912904201.html. Christian News Wire. Retrieved 5/12/2010