NFL Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte’ Stallworth was released on $200,000 bail today after surrendering in Miami-Dade circuit court subsequent to being charged with manslaughter drunken driving on Wednesday.
Stallworth struck and killed Mario Reyes, a pedestrian, on March 14 around 7:00 AM. while driving to the beach. According to the police Stallworth was alone at the wheel of his black 2005 Bentley GT when he struck Reyes, who was a 59-year-old construction crane operator on his way home from work.
Police also stated that Stallworth allegedly had been drinking at a Miami Beach nightclub prior to the early morning accident and provided police with a blood sample that later registered a blood alcohol level of .126, which is considerably above Florida’s legal limit of 0.080.
The first video is an Associated Press report of Stallworth’s surrender today:
Stallworth is not allowed to drive or drink alcohol while on bail and also must submit to random alcohol and drug tests conducted by the NFL substance abuse program.
He also needs to obtain permission for any travel that is not between Miami and Cleveland, plus he is subject to a curfew from midnight until 6:00 AM.
Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy set an arraignment date of April 23 at which Stallworth is expected to enter a plea of not guilty.
The second video is a Miami Herald account from the accident scene on March 14th and shows Stallworth submitting to DUI testing and also shows paramedics working on Reyes after the accident. WARNING! Video is graphic.
Stallworth faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted. Christopher Lyons, Donte’ Stallworth’s attorney, said he would “vigorously” defend Stallworth against the charges. “We want to stress there are no winners here,” said Lyons. “It was a tragic accident.”