It’s the monsoon season in the Arizona desert, and the following video displays a rarely experienced haboob, or giant dust storm, as it overtakes the city of Phoenix. The enormous storm appears to swallow the city and looks like the CGI special effects that Hollywood often dreams up for movies.
The storm rises a mile high, stretches 100 miles wide and is all too real as the residents of Phoenix will attest to. The vid is embedded with permission from the website of Mike Olbinski, a professional photographer and Phoenix resident fortunate enough to be on the scene just as the giant dust cloud begins engulfing the city.
The video is shot in time lapse photography:
We also have the haboob shot from another angle and from within the dust cloud itself:
- Lightning Strikes Plane in Midair – Caught on Video
- Man Struck by Lightning Caught on Video
- Air France Jumbo Jet Clips Delta Jet in New York – Video
- Incredible Pilot Lands on Only One Wing – Video
- Explosion Rocks Japan Nuclear Plant – Caught on Video